Stuck Truck Watch is a feature that automatically detects "out of order" trucks, creating incidents to manage and record down time. Simply having this feature available is not enough to maximize its positive impact on business operations. It is vital to formulate a clear policy and communicate it to all relevant stakeholders. Recognizing that most companies face similar challenges, we have decided to draft this comprehensive policy and set of communication templates, which our customers can modify and build upon to suit their specific needs.
Draft Implementation Plan and Policy
This policy is designed to ensure efficient utilization of the Stuck Truck Watch feature, focusing on precise enablement, incident management, and clear communication, enhancing the overall management of the logistics department.
Enablement at Customer Level:
- Enable Stuck Truck Watch for customers that predominantly haul to jobs.
- By default, keep the feature enabled for job production plans for specific customers where determining "out of order" trucks is challenging, as it will be disabled automatically if ambiguity is detected.
Non-Production Trucks Handling:
- Mark any non-production trucks accordingly to automatically disable stuck truck incidents for those shifts.
Setting Minimum Duration for Down Time:
- Set a minimum duration for down time incidents at the branch level, generally recommended at around ~15 minutes. This will be applied by the stuck truck feature on any job.
Incident Review and Management:
- Assign the responsible party for time card management to review incidents, ensuring that down time is applied correctly.
- Direct truckers to comment on incidents if they want to dispute an incident resulting in down time.
- Require a comment to be made on an incident any time down time is disabled on an incident above the minimum duration threshold.
- If it is determined that an incident should not require down time, the incident should be updated with "is down time" set to false and closed. Don't abandon the incident as that will make the work done invisible.
Communication and Expectation Setting:
- Communicate the policy and its rationale to truckers, to set clear expectations and understanding of the process.
Draft Trucker Newsletter
We’re introducing Stuck Truck Watch, a new policy designed with you in mind. Here's what you need to know:
Stuck Truck Watch Explained:
- Automatic Detection: Identifies when trucks are "out of order" and creates an incident.
- Down Time: Records down time of ~15 minutes or more.
- Incident Review: You can comment to dispute an incident, and we'll respond promptly.
Why It Matters:
- Rewarding Performance: Good drivers are noticed and down time is consistently recorded enabling us to maintain higher rates.
- Resource Management: We'll notice when jobs are over trucked and move trucks to where they're needed.
How It Helps You and the Crew:
- Immediate Response: Quick detection of issues helps us respond faster, keeping the job on track.
- Connection to Crew: You’re vital to the overall job. This policy enhances our collaboration and how your work contributes.
- Dispute Handling: If you have concerns about an incident, we'll listen and be responsive.
- Information Sharing: Your accurate data, including location, enables fair decisions.
Stuck Truck Watch is more than a policy; it's a philosophy to recognize your value and make our work together even more effective.
Feel free to reach out with questions or concerns.
Draft Internal Newsletter
We're rolling out the Stuck Truck Watch policy to enhance our logistics operations. Here's a comprehensive look at what it entails and why it's vital for our projects:
Stuck Truck Watch Defined:
- Automatic Detection: The policy will automatically detect "out of order" trucks, creating an incident for each.
- Down Time Management: Down time will be recorded if an incident lasts ~15 minutes or more.
- Incident Review Process: Truckers have the ability to dispute incidents, and we'll need to respond promptly.
Implications for Our Projects:
- Enhanced Performance Monitoring: This policy allows for consistent monitoring of trucker performance and enables us to maintain higher rates.
- Effective Resource Allocation: Over-trucked jobs will be identified, and trucks can be redeployed as needed.
How It Supports Our Team and Processes:
- Rapid Response Capability: Early detection of "out of order" trucks enables faster responses, minimizing disruptions.
- Crew Collaboration: It fosters a deeper connection between truckers and the on-site crew, leading to more seamless operations.
Open Communication & Fairness:
- Transparent Dispute Handling: Encourage open communication with truckers and handle any disputes fairly and efficiently.
- Data Integrity: Location data and other information must be accurate to make fair decisions. We value the integrity of the information in our system.
Stuck Truck Watch isn't just a policy; it's an approach to creating a more responsive, cohesive, and efficient work environment. By understanding the trucker's point of view and maintaining open communication, we're positioning ourselves to deliver projects more effectively.
Please review the details and be prepared to implement and adhere to this policy. Reach out to [relevant department or person] with any questions or for further assistance.